GAME ON – OLG needs you
We said GAME ON, and we mean it – OLG is rapidly transforming its organization to better serve Ontarians by delivering exceptional gaming experiences through our digital, retail lottery and land-based casino channels. In our 2019-20 fiscal year alone, OLG achieved over $2.3 billion in net profits in the province of Ontario. OLG is now expanding its horizons even further, with a new strategic direction, to become a global leader in gaming entertainment with a globally admired digital platform.
We are ready to take this game to the next level and need a Senior Accounting Manager lead the planning, development and coordination of all corporate accounting functions for OLG (areas including: digital games, lotteries and sports), including day-to-day accounting, month-end activities and year-end, as required by various internal departments and external stakeholders, while ensuring that the principles of sound financial reporting processes and internal controls are adhered to.
YOUR ROLE IN THE GAME
Reporting to the Accounting Director, you will be required to:
- Lead and be accountable for the team’s recurring month-end financial responsibilities to ensure all tasks are completed on time and accurately, while focusing on improving automation and efficiency of process. These include, but are not limited to, revenues, expenses and accrued liabilities, financial statements, account reconciliations, journal entries, and the review and resolution of material discrepancies in financial state.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving the preparation of accurate and timely working papers and financial reports to enable the year-end audit, working with the Senior External Reporting Manager and External Audit to ensure that all deliverables are met.
- Responsible for improving process efficiencies within various accounting functions (as noted above), including the use of data and analytics, and robotic process automation, with a focus on increasing the accuracy and efficiency of financial reporting and maximizing value to the Province of Ontario.
- Responsible for internal controls over financial reporting to ensure the accuracy of entries in the company’s general ledger; ensure adherence to sound internal control principles, including the Department of Finance’s Internal Control Framework and Memorandum of Understanding and other applicable departmental directives.
- Work with internal business partners, OLG department heads and external parties to review and provide financial information and recommendations on various trends and comparisons, metrics, access to information requests, service agreements/contracts – frameworks, procurement documents, interpretation and guidance of contract language and other ad hoc requests for information as required.
- Oversee and review the calculation of Service Provider fees (over $2 billion per year), including authorized capital charges, and associated financial reconciliations, ensuring that the Service Provider meets its contractual obligations; provide guidance and training to service providers on various contractual requirements.
- Thorough understanding of service provider contracts and interpretation, providing recommendations for changes in contracts to ensure OLG’s best interests in terms of efficiency, cost savings, etc.
- Responsible as first level approver for the daily calculation of funds transfers to and from the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation for numerous national lottery games (approximately $1 billion per year) in accordance with ILC policies and procedures .
- Lead and represent the Lottery and Digital Accounting department on ad-hoc projects, strategic initiatives by assisting/reviewing business requirements development, overseeing user acceptance testing and providing subject matter expertise.
- Oversee and review the compilation and synthesis of sensitive payment information in response to requests from internal and external stakeholders, in particular Freedom of Information requests and/or requests from the Ministry of Finance.
- Responsible for accurate daily revenue reporting processes, including daily revenue reconciliations for all reporting functions; ensure timeliness, completeness and accuracy of revenue. Collaborate, as appropriate, with service providers and digital/lottery lines of business in resolving issues.
- Develop, monitor and act on KPIs related to the accounting and financial reporting function to foster a culture of continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with business partners on reporting implications of new games; ensure the needs of the department are met by aligning with the Director of Financial Systems and Game Testing Information, and the Senior Director of External Reporting and Revenue Recognition Manager, to assess the implications of financial reports of the new product.
- Lead, manage, coach, coach and develop a team of senior accounting analysts and accounting analysts to meet expectations through continuous assessment, feedback and skill development
WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY
Professional experience: 10+ years of experience in financial accounting and reporting; 5+ years of progressive leadership experience; experience in IFRS is preferred; experience with finance/accounting software solutions; knowledge of games/lotteries would be preferred
Education: University degree in finance, accounting or commerce; professional accounting designation, CPA
Critical Skills: Strong analytical/problem solving/risk management skills; exceptional planning, organizing and prioritizing skills are essential; excellent relationship management skills; superior communication skills; exceptional people leadership skills – ability to motivate teams to produce quality documents under tight deadlines and manage multiple deliverables simultaneously; expertise in MS Office and various gaming systems
Cooperation and fun: inclusive and collaborative working style while creating fun and excitement in our work
Integrity and Trust: do what is right and operate with transparency and openness
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM
Part of a larger image: socially responsible company that returns all profits to the province and the people of Ontario
Flexible work environment: to help balance work and life
You count: family-friendly work practices and remote work
Freedom to innovate: supports new and better ways to succeed
Be your Authentic Self: environment that values diversity as a source of strength
Learning galore: 24/7 access to robust online learning programs
Public Service Pension Plan: participate in a large defined benefit pension plan sponsored by the Ontario government
Variable compensation program: performance-based incentives to share our success
Learn about OLG – GAME ON!
OLG’s goal is to contribute to a better Ontario by providing great entertainment experiences for our customers. We are a multi-billion dollar organization with a wide range of business lines including lottery, land-based casinos, digital lottery and casino, horse racing and charitable gaming. OLG is in the midst of a massive transformation to become customer obsessed and take our digital business to a whole new level.
The key to our success is our people. Our culture will be based on real, positive partnerships that embrace trust, clarity and openness in everything we do. We support and empower employees and teams across the organization through greater accountability, leadership development and growth opportunities. OLG is embracing more flexible work options and family-friendly work practices, including remote work.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are essential elements of our culture, the cornerstone of our values of respect, integrity, stewardship and excellence. At OLG, our employees have the space to be themselves and use their insights and skills for the benefit of the people and the province of Ontario.
As we reshape and grow our business, we are unwavering when it comes to living our purpose and ensuring our business delivers meaningful results. benefits for Ontarians. OLG’s net profits are reinvested in the province, contributing to the quality of life of Ontarians.
To learn more about OLG, visit our website at www.olg.ca.
We look forward to hearing from you, interested candidates should apply online by April 19, 2022.
OLG is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please contact Human Resources at [email protected] if you require accommodation at any time during the hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.